Council Agenda 10-10-2023
- Call to order
- Roll Call
- Approval of Minutes from:
- September 26,2023 regular meeting
- Public Comments (per request to be on Agenda)
- Brian Nunnelee
- Mark Arnett
- 8. OLD BUSINESS
- NEW BUSINESS
- AD: The Messenger Fall/Winter Magazine
- Resolution: Application for the 2024 LETS Traffic Safety Grant
- PUBLIC COMMENTS (NON-AGENDA ITEMS)
- Statements of the mayor and council.
- The next Planning Commission meeting is scheduled for November 13, 2023 beginning at 6:00 pm in the council chambers at Southside City Hall.
- The next City Council Meeting will be held October 24, 2023 at 4:00 p.m. in the council chambers at Southside City Hall.
CITY OF SOUTHSIDE
COUNTY OF ETOWAH
STATE OF ALABAMA
The City Council of the City of Southside convened in regular public session in Council Chambers at the Southside City Hall on Tuesday, October 10, 2023. Prior notice of this meeting was given in compliance with Resolution No. 0-035-2005 of the City of Southside, Alabama and the Alabama Open Meetings Act. Mayor Dana Snyder called the meeting to order at 4:02 p.m., with Councilman Keith Clay leading in prayer.
The following council members were present: Mayor Dana Snyder, Council Members: Joseph Hutchins, John Hatley, Keith Clay and Don Steward. With a quorum being present, the meeting was opened for the transaction of business. The council recessed to the work session at 4:04 p.m., and reconvened the council meeting at 4:41p.m.
Mayor Snyder inquired of the council if there were any corrections or additions to the council minutes from the regular called meeting held on October 10, 2023. Councilman Keith Clay stated that he had a discrepancy regarding the language of a motion he had made on the budget amendment. Councilman Clay made a motion to accept the minutes as they were written with a correction to that particular verbiage. A second of the motion to approve was made by Don Steward. Roll call vote: All ayes. The mayor declared the motion carried unanimously.
Residents Brian Nunnelee and Mark Arnett had submitted requests to be on the council agenda, and Mr. Nunnelee addressed the council on their behalf about issues in the City pertaining to the City’s current animal ordinance. The current Ordinance was discussed, and a potential update was discussed, with the City Attorney to review those potential updates.
Councilman Joseph Hutchins made a motion to approve The City of Southside Police Department to apply for the FY 2023-2024 LETS Traffic Safety Grant. A second was provided by Don Steward. Roll Call Vote was all ayes. The mayor declared it carried.
Mayor Snyder then addressed the vacancy on the City of Southside City Council due to the resignation of Councilwoman Genny Ball on September 28, 2023. She stated that this was discussed in the work session, with the decision being made to discuss it further at the next work session after some clarification on some subjects from other agencies such as the Alabama League of Municipalities. The council has 60 days to fill the vacancy, if it is not filled at that time, the Governor has 90 days to fill it, if the Governor chooses not to fill the position, then it goes to the Judge of Probate to call a special election.
Potential Sponsorship for the DEF Veteran’s Day Bass Fishing Tournament at Southside Landing was presented during the work session and added to the agenda for consideration. A motion was made by Joseph Hutchins to provide a $250.00 sponsorship for the event. Keith Clay seconded the motion. Roll Call Vote was all ayes. The motion carried.
The following statements were made by Mayor Snyder:
- The next Planning Commission meeting is scheduled for November13, 2023 beginning at 6:00 p.m. in the council chambers at Southside City Hall.
- The next City Council meeting will be held October 24, 2023. in the council chambers at Southside City Hall immediately following the 4:00 p.m. work session.
- The Police and Fire Department’s Fall Festival will be held October 19 from 5 p.m. until 8 p.m. at City Hall.
A motion to adjourn was made by Joseph Hutchins at 5:04, a second was made by Keith Clay. The meeting adjourned at 5:04 p.m.